This is my fourth post to update you about social networks on which you can find and follow me.
Soundcloud was initially intended to give musicians and labels a platform to exchange music but it eventually turned into the "Instagram for music". This very strong worldwide community allows me to reach even more people with my music than if I'd just post it on deepershades.net. If you're an artist, Soundcloud is also perfect to share your demos with me through a simple message.
The newest Deeper Shades Recordings release, remixes of Blaq Soul's "Vision" are doing well on Traxsource, so they asked him a few questions about the creation of the track, his approach to production, and advice for fans who are trying to make it as producers.
UPDATE: Apparently the editor of the "Most Respected House DJs 2014" list, who by the way has still not come forward with his true identity, has taken a few points I raised in this letter to heart and modified his original post. You can now find a disclaimer that the list is "In No Particular Order" while the numeration still exists?! and added even more people (I guess he forgot some of his friends).
Dear Mr. Johnson,
I was just tagged on Facebook since I apparently made it on to your list of "Most Respected House DJs 2014". While I, as others, appreciate to be recognized for what I do and am happy to be mentioned alongside many of my heroes, friends and peers, too many irregularities and acts of randomness stood out to me and immediately discredited this list.
I will avoid pointing out any particular DJs in the following statements but if necessary, I can back them up. I am also not going to argue who shouldn't be and who definitely should have been on this list because it is quite obviously a randomly compiled list of personal favorites and taste can't be argued but I certainly would like to raise some points.
1. Shouldn't you respect the DJs like the title suggests and make sure their names are spelled correctly and most embarrassingly, avoid that several names appear twice on the same list? How thorough could your research have been if two DJs show up on two different ends of the list, and there may be even more duplicates but I've spent enough time looking at this!
2. The word DJ should be removed from the list title as you mentioned quite a few names of people who either hardly DJ, not DJ anymore or not DJ at all.
3. "Who is Michael Johnson?", I have been quite deeply involved in the house music industry for more than 20 years, mostly as a fan but also as a producer, remixer, DJ and radio host and have never come across your name or met you before. What credentials do you exactly have to compile a list with an official title like "Most Respected House DJs 2014"? Why are you or your name nowhere to be found? It seems to me that you are just a fictional character invented by the true compiler of this list to avoid conflict and discredit this list even further based on professional involvement with a lot of names mentioned.
4. All of the criteria you mention are not criteria, they are simply a way to cover yourself and to avoid being called out for randomly going through a database of names and arranging the list anyway you saw fit. - When you call for common sense regarding the definition of House, you call for acceptance of YOUR definition of House. A lot of the DJs you mention on the list don't even play House (in some cases not anymore, which by your given standard should disqualify them from being included).
5. Right above the first name of your list you post "Let the controversy begin" which shows me your lack of seriousness regarding this topic and that you created this list purely for your own pleasure or to draw attention to yourself (if you actually exist) or to the website which hosts your list.
I will cut this letter short at this point because I'm sure everyone had enough of this topic by now. In conclusion I would like to offer some suggestions.
- In my personal opinion a ranking is not necessary as it is useless without any empirical evidence and, more importantly, respect shouldn't be scaled.
- You should have named the list "Michael Johnson's Favorite (House) DJs 2014"
- If you have to create another list of any kind in the future, why not coordinate with industry related press, blogs, journalists and roll out a call for nomination. That in combination with the use of social media would allow 10s if not hundreds of thousands of fans to get involved by nominating their personal favorites. You could then feed the nominations into a database and have all fans vote for the end result.
Thank you for your time and attention, Lars Behrenroth
These are screenshots of the original posted, not modified list from Friday, January 2014. Please click on the images to expand.
As a frequent Deeper Shades Of House listener and visitor of this site you know that I am not getting paid for any of the radio shows that I record and make available for free streaming and downloads. It is 100% listener supported and I started asking fans to join as a Deeper Shades Premium member to donate and contribute financially to cover part of the costs that this website and the show create.
If you're already a Premium member or are considering to join, please listen to the following message as it contains important information about the Deeper Shades Premium Podcast and other benefits.
I've been teasing big news for Deeper Shades Premium members for a while now and I can finally announce that all Silver & Gold members will now receive all new Deeper Shades Recordings releases for free on their official release date on top of all the other perks they've been enjoying for quite some time now.
In addition, Deeper Shades Premium Silver & Gold members also receive discounts for Deeper Shades Merchandising and I am as well partnering with third party companies, beginning with JustGo and Traxsource to offer exclusive discounts.
Thank you for enjoying the show and thank you for helping me to keep it going by GOING PREMIUM, Lars Behrenroth
Here's the second post this year to update you on my social networks. After touching on Instagram in the first post, I'd like to let you know about the network on which I share 140 characters of my opinions, last minute updates on gigs, times of my live broadcasts and more - Twitter
It's a new year and I wanted to make sure you are up to date with all the social media profiles of myself and the Deeper Shades brand beginning with Instagram. I don't post too many pictures but every once in a while you get a view behind the scenes like in this recent picture taken after I had reconnected my DJ setup. For our NYE party I moved it all downstairs and now it's back where it belongs.
I just got back from my last South Africa tour this year and will spend the next few days with my family to relax and enjoy the holidays. But be not worried, I am planning to record one last Deeper Shades Of House show before 2013 is over!
Enjoy this time of the year, reflect on 2013 and get ready for the new one. Keep it deep, don't drink and drive and don't let your friends listen to bad music :)
As a little Christmas gift I got you a 25% off discount of any Deeper Shades T-Shirt order before January 1st 2013. Order at www.deepershades.net/shirts and enter XMAS13 at checkout!
And yet another video that popped up on my Facebook timeline. This time my friends from Freerange shared this cool video of Sven Weisemann adding live piano and vocal samples via vinyl to one of his tunes. Sven sent the video to the folks of Fact Magazine who added it to their YouTube channel. I really dig Sven's minimal approach to the music he produces and was lucky enough to have remixed his track "Slices" for Liebe*Detail a few years ago.